Potassium Iodide USP
The best time to prepare for an emergency is BEFORE the emergency is present! Along with food, clothing, personal items, water, shelter, and medicines Potassium Iodide should be part of every person's emergency supplies. In the event of a radiation leak and emergency, Potassium Iodide, when taken correctly, will fill the thyroid gland with safe Iodine - not leaving room for radiated Iodine. Of course eating foods high in natural Iodine is the best prevention.
When diluted as instructed, Health And Wisdom’s Potassium Iodide USP makes a less than saturated Potassium Iodide solution. Using less than saturated Potassium Iodide (KI) solution provides more accurate dosages because there is more solution overall to be measured out per dose. For example, mixing and dissolving exactly 26 grams of Potassium Iodide USP into a one liter bottle of water produces 1000 ml of Potassium Iodide solution with a strength of 130 mg for each 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of that Potassium Iodide (KI) solution. There are 200 of those 5 ml servings in that 1000 ml (1 liter). Five ml can be easily and accurately measured out with a common graduated medicine dropper or one teaspoon.
According to the FDA, the following doses are appropriate to take after internal contamination with (or likely internal contamination with) radioactive iodine:
- Adults should take 130 mg (five mL - 1 teaspoon - of less than saturated solution).
- Women who are breast feeding should take the adult dose of 130 mg (five mL - 1 teaspoon - of less than saturated solution).
- Children between 3 and 18 years of age should take 65 mg (2.5 mL - 1/2 teaspoon - of less than saturated solution). Children who are adult size (greater than or equal to 150 pounds) should take the full adult dose, regardless of their age.
- Infants and children between 1 month and 3 years of age should take 32 mg (1.25 mL - 1/4 teaspoon - of less than saturated solution). This dose is for both nursing and non-nursing infants and children.
- Newborns from birth to 1 month of age should be given 16 mg (.63 mL - 1/8 teaspoon - of less than saturated solution). This dose is for both nursing and non-nursing newborn infants.
DILUTE ONLY WHEN THE EMERGENCY IS PRESENT
- 26 Gram unit (200 adult doses) - Empty the contents of the 26 gram container (1 level Tablespoon) of Health And Wisdom’s Potassium Iodide USP into 1 LITER (33.8 ounces) of water. Mix to dissolve.
- 100 Gram unit (770 adult doses) - Add ONE level Tablespoon (26 grams) of Health And Wisdom’s Potassium Iodide USP into 1 LITER (33.8 ounces) of water. Mix to dissolve.
As a preventive, consume whole foods high in natural Iodine as a preventive to feed the thyroid with natural iodine! Here is a list of some natural source of iodine-containing foods and superfoods: (*estimated amounts of naturally occurring iodine)
- Icelandic Kelp - *8000ppm (8-12 Kelp capsules per day is recommended for average size adults)
- Kelp, Dulse, etc. (Seaweeds) - *5400ppm
- Chlorella - *100ppm
- Spirulina - *70ppm
- Pistachios - *51ppm
- Dark Greens in all there variety
- Colorful vegetables & fresh fruits
- Onions & Garlic
Keep container closed and in a cool, dark place. The shelf life of the unopened container is seven years.
Check out the Potassium Iodide today!